Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sweet & Spicy Starfruit Chutney



I saw starfruit on sale at the market the other day. I have seen it in Canada at the grocery store but never tried it so I figured this was my perfect opportunity. I assumed starfruit was very sweet but I was mistaken. While it does sweeten a little when it fully ripens, it is a considerably tangy fruit. So, I decided to try to make a chutney.

Chutney is an Indian condiment, like a relish, used to add flavour to a dish. In India, chutney is often served with meats and vegetables. It is also a great way to dress bread and crackers. 

I am a huge fan of Indian food and as you will learn, a lot of my cooking is inspired by Indian flavours.  This recipe tends to turn out quite spicy, so depending on the amount of heat you like, you can add or subtract the chilies. I personally think the chilies give this recipe an awesome kick.

Sweet & Spicey Chutney

2 Starfruits chopped, cored, and edges peeled (Believe me it's easier than it sounds)
2 Cloves of garlic chopped
1 inch ginger (shredded)
1 Teaspoon of tumeric
1 Teaspoon of crushed dried chilies (less for a milder taste)
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup red wine vinager
1 Teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons of raisons

Mix all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil and stir. Then cover and cook on low heat for 40 minutes. Occasionally stir to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
The mixture will then reduce, leaving you with approximately 1/2 cup of chutney. This usually serves 2 people.

Serve with your favourite meat or vegetable dish to add that extra delicious flare. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment