Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Vegan and Gluten Free Chewy Amaretti Cookies

It's been quite a long time since I have posted anything. Since my last post, my husband and I have decided for health reasons to follow a vegan diet for awhile. It has been an adventure to try and come up with delicious recipes but I must admit it is fun. It's amazing that you can satisfy all your cravings without using any animal products. I have read many books, articles and blogs which have inspired me to experiment with different recipes that not only my husband will enjoy, but also our 13 month old son. We have found that eating this way has helped us feel better, have more energy and even lose weight. We may never go back!

I have come up with this recipe because I LOVE amaretti cookies but the recipe usually calls for eggs and sugar. I changed things up a little and this is what the results were: 

A chewier,  yummier version of Nonna's original recipe. Shh...don't tell her, but I think these might be better. 









Here's what you need for this simple and quick recipe:

2 Cups of ground almonds

1/2 Cup of unsweetened shredded coconut

1/2 Cup of pure maple syrup

1 tsp. of baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp of raw cacao powder (or bitter chocolate powder)

2 tbsp of virgin coconut oil

1/2 tsp lemon zest

1/2 tsp orange zest

1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all the dry ingredients together with the baking powder, baking soda, cacao, lemon and orange zest. Then add the oil, vanilla and maple syrup and mix well with a whisk. Then, place mixture in the fridge for 10 minutes until the mixture sets. Use a teaspoon-sized amount and form the dough into balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. 

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Tip: If you prefer your cookies more chewy, leave in for the minimum amount of time. If you like them crunchier leave in for 2 to 3 minutes more depending on your oven.

I hope you enjoy them!!




No comments:

Post a Comment